Everything I need to know about Visa Procedure
French Student Visa has two distinct stages of application. One at the Campus France and the other at the embassy which will be done on behalf of VFS Global. The set of documents can vary for both. You would be required to submit originals at Campus France and Photocopies at the VFS/embassy/consulate.
There are different types of student visas for France:
Visa de court séjour pour études (Schengen short-stay student visa)
– : You can come to France and study for up to three months on this visa, without the need for a separate residence visa. This is suitable for those enrolling on a language course or short-term programs.
Visa de long séjour temporaire pour études (temporary long-stay visa):
This visa allows you to study in France for three to six months without the need of a residence permit. It is non-renewable.
Visa de long séjour etudes (long-stay visa)
If you want to study for longer than six months, then you need to apply for this visa. This type of study visa lasts for the duration of your course in France i.e. three years for bachelors, two years for masters and four years for a Ph.D. Long-stay visas act as residence permits and are called VLT-TS.
Some details to keep in mind
I. Submitting the application
Submission of visa application and collection of passports can be done only by the applicant or through a travel agent authorized by the Embassy of France, New Delhi. French Student Visa has two distinct stages of application.
One at the Campus France and the other at the embassy. The set of documents can vary for both of them. You would be required to submit originals at Campus France and Photocopies at the embassy/ consulate/ Visa Application Centers.
II. Cost of Visa
The visa fee for Long Stay National Visa for Study purposes is €50 for students applying for Bachelor’s/ Master’s courses. For dual course applicants as well as exchange students, the fee is the same.
This amount needs to be paid at the nearest BNP Paribas Branch. Once you reach the branch, you would need to have your IN Number. The payment can be made in cash and in favor of INSTITUT FRANCAIS EN INDE, Account N0. 0906506003400137.
We recommend you to speak with the nearest branch before you go there to make the payment. Apart from this charge, you would also be required to pay Visa Processing charge of €50 which is at present at INR 4076 as well as the VFS Service Fees and handling charges which amount to INR 1467 (inclusive of taxes).
Please note the visa fee for applicants applying to the France Visa Application Centre in New Delhi and Kolkata is payable by a Bank Draft.
Visa fee for applicants applying to the France Visa Application Centre in Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Goa, Chennai, and Puducherry is payable by cash only. In addition, an optional courier facility is available at INR 300 (inclusive of service tax) per application.
III. Documents required for visa application
You should provide two sets of application photocopies containing the following documents:
– Long stay application form for the duration of more than 90 days
– Two passport size photographs
– A copy of Passport
– A print out of your Campus France ID number
– Letter of registration from the academic Institution
– Cover letter explaining the study project and a CV/Resume
– Proof of funds – tuition fees + a minimum of 615 €/month, for the complete academic term
– Proof of medical insurance with coverage valid in France
– Copy of your round-trip airline ticket (if you are studying for six months or less) or a one-way ticket if you are studying in France for more than six months)
– OFII form (Office Francais de Immigration et de Integration)
– Proof of residency in France such as a lease, electricity bill, title of property etc. for a minimum of three months or a hotel reservation
– Copy of the CV
– Copies of the degree and academic diplomas, certificates